Thursday, February 11th, 6:30-8:30pm
The excitement is palpable as the timer ticks down at the end of any soccer match or basketball game. Will they get that last basket or shot in the net? No matter what the scoreboard reads when the buzzer goes off, however, there are a multitude of benefits just to have been a part of the game. For our student athletes here at North Shore Christian School, the lessons they learn on the playing fields are an extension of our classroom instruction. Win or lose, our coaches encourage our students to learn (and transfer) those valuable lessons on the court or field that they can use in life. Here are just a few of the benefits of being a NSCS student athlete.
- Students learn how to honor God on the court or field by learning humility, grace, perseverance, and sometimes even forgiveness. The “Three P’s” of persistence, patience, and practice are valuable on the field, in the classroom, and in honoring God throughout life.
- Students who participate in sports tend to do better in school. Skills such as time management, goal-setting, and determination can be transferred into actions in the classroom as well as valuable assets on the court/field. While some parents are concerned with the time commitment of sports, students learn how to balance school and sports fairly quickly. In addition, multiple studies have found that the exercise alone can improve learning, memory, and concentration.
- Students learn about teamwork and goal-setting when they are a member of an athletic team. Communication, problem solving, and cooperation are all skills that are fine tuned during practices and games. Students also learn how to create a sense of community, build each other up, encourage each other and work with their strengths.
- Students learn leadership skills as they mentor younger players, encourage team members, and set an example for others.
- The health benefits of being part of an athletic team are not limited to the physical advantages such as cardiovascular health or maintaining a healthy weight, but also have been known to be a natural mood booster.